In honor of Valentine's Day, we've compiled a list of fun South Padre Island date ideas. No matter what your couple style is, there's something for all of you "love birds" out there.
For the romantics
1) Take a long walk on the beach, hand in hand, and enjoy the natural beauty of South Padre Island. 2) Plan for a romantic dinner overlooking the Laguna Madre Bay at the Painted Marlin Grille. The colorful venue, their tropical cocktails, and the view of the sunset make for a perfect evening. 3) Plan for a romantic dinner overlooking the Gulf of Mexico at Cafe on the Beach. 4) If you’re looking for something equally as romantic but a little more on the frugal side, pack up the picnic basket and head to the beach. Island Insider Tip: You are allowed to have alcohol on the beach, just no glass please. 5) Go horseback riding on the beach at sunset with Island Adventure Park. 6) Sail away on the Southern Wave and enjoy a romantic sunset dinner cruise on the Laguna Madre Bay.
For those who want to just “chill”
7) Leave all your troubles behind and enjoy complete relaxation at the Sapphire Spa. Sip on a complimentary glass of wine while looking out over the Gulf of Mexico before your side by side massage, then top that off with a private infinity tub infused with your favorite aromatherapy scent. 8) Hit the beach, rent a couple chairs with an umbrella, and just relax.
For the foodies
9) Check out the local Farmer’s Market at “The Shores” for fresh produce, coffee, bread, juices and many other goodies. 10) For the beer aficionado, do a beer tasting at Padre Island Brewing Company. PIBC is the second oldest brewpub in Texas and they brew everything in house. Island Insider Tip: Don't forget to try their pizza! 11) Start your day off right with a brunch date at Yummies Bistro. 12) If you really want to impress that special someone, make a reservation at F&B SPI and enjoy modern American cuisine with a coastal flair. Island Insider Tip: Don't forget to try one of their specialty cocktails — not only are the super tasty, but they are the definition of "instagrammable."
For the intellectuals
13) Hit up the local book store, Paragraph’s on Padre Boulevard, where they often host writing workshops, book readings and “meet the artist” events. 14) Visit the Museums of Port Isabel and learn all about the area’s rich history and culture. Museums include the Port Isabel Historical Museum, Treasures of the Gulf Museum and the Port Isabel Lighthouse.
For the artsy types
15) Put your artistic side to the test and take an art class at Art Space. 16) Did you know that South Padre Island is the sandcastle capital of the world? Get your hands dirty and learn from a master sand sculptor with a sandcastle lesson!
For the music buffs
17) Go see live music! With a ton of venues to choose from and live music year-round, there’s always something to do. Check out the SPI Music Guide for more info.
For the nature lovers
18) Go on an eco-tour with one of several vendors and see the dolphins that call the Laguna Madre home. 19) South Padre Island is a nesting ground for the endangered Kemp’s ridley sea turtle. Learn all about these fascinating creatures at Sea Turtle, Inc. with their interactive exhibits and “turtle talks,” and see their rescue patients and residents up close! 20) Over 300 species of birds call South Padre Island home for part (or all) of the year. See how many you can spot at the South Padre Island Birding & Nature Center, complete with an interactive exhibit room and an observation tower.
For the adventure lovers
Try one of the following watersports through one of several vendors on the Island: 21) Kayaking 22) Paddle boarding 23) Jet skiing 24) Looking to “reel” in the fun? Book a fishing charter (bay or offshore) and see what you can catch! Island Insider Tip: Several restaurants on the Island will cook your catch! 25) For the “adrenaline junkies,” take to the skies with Skydive SPI! The experience is just as incredible (and unforgettable) as the breathtaking view.
For the animal lovers
26) Volunteer for a day (or even just an hour) at the local animal shelter, Friends of Animal Rescue. This no-kill, non-profit organization is always looking for animal lovers to walk dogs and help social cats.
For those who like to ride in style
27) Take one of several segway tours with SegValley. Tour options: “Sandcastle South,” “Sandcastle North,” “Ride It!,” “A Bit of Everything,” or “Nature.” 28) Ever see one of the colorful little cars and think, “that looks like fun!”? Rent a scoot coupe from one of several vendors and explore the Island!